[Scribus] Re: Can't get colour management working (was: URGENT)

PLinnell mrdocs
Thu Apr 21 16:57:59 CEST 2005

On Thursday 21 April 2005 16:24, Asif Lodhi wrote:
> Hi guys!
>
> I installed the development package rpm of lcms from Fedora's
> Extras (
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/3/i386/lc
>ms-devel-1.14-1.i386.rpm), re-configured/make/make-installed
> scribus, installed tutorial, copied profiles to
> /usr/local/lib/scribus/profiles as well as ~/.scribus/profiles,
> started the scribus again but haven't yet gotten lcms support in
> scribus working.

I am suprised you did not install the fedora rpms. Those rpm's work
perfectly on a stock unaltered Fedora system. Phil Compton and I have
worked together to refine the packaging for Fedora to make sure it
Just Works TM. This has been ongoing for a while. There have few if
any bugs related to packaging Scribus in Fedora.

> Yes. Now there is no asterisk being displayed after the Build ID in
> the Scribus' About DialogBox and I see "C-C-T" after the Build ID
> instead of "*C...." (which was displayed after the About Dialog's
> Build ID previously). In addition, when starting up and displaying
> the spash screen, I now also partially see a "...ICC Profiles"
> message at the bottom of the splash in addition to many other
> messages that rattle past. However, I cannot see any color
> management option anywhere in Scribus. I am following Bhushan's
> excellent tutorial and at the initial "Get Picture ..." stage, when
> I select the "Image" option from the picture's properties dialog,
> nothing close to color management appears in the properties dialog.
> I thoroughly searched each and every option in Scribus to find the
> configured ICC profiles support but in vane. I wonder what I am
> doing wrong! Do I need to reformat my hard disk, install FC3 from
> the scratch and then freshly install lcms and Scribus?
>
> Yes, I have these files in the "/usr/local/lib/scribus/profiles"
> and "$HOME/.scribus/profiles" directories:
> CMY.icm, ITUFAX.ICM, LCMSLABI.ICM, LCMSXYZI.ICM, MONOSCNR.ICM,
> SRGBSPAC.ICM, YCC601.icm, YCC709.icm, lcmstiff8.icm, sRGB Color
> Space Profile.ICM, Tifflab8spac.icm, tr01_d50.icm - I can't tell an
> ICC profile file from a CMYK one but the above-mentioned filenames
> suggest that I have one CMYK and one sRGB profile installed - at
> least - as pointed out earlier on this list.

You are more than likely missing cmyk profiles. Those listed are a
mixture of generic and special profiles included with littlecms

There are links for CMYK profiles on the wiki, www.scribus.net and on
docs.scribus.net. We cannot ship them because of licensing.

These are the generic Adobe print profiles and installing them
correctly will enable color management.

> I would genuinely appreciate your advices and recommendations.
>
> I have given up. I will pray to God for you guys if you help me get
> Scribus working! :)
>
> Thanks and regards
>
> Asif

Peter