[Scribus] Re: GPLed fonts

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Tue Apr 19 19:34:32 CEST 2005

Marvin Dickens wrote:

>Also, FWIW, I wish I had never started this thread. I should have kept it to
>myself and avoided the grief. My days of posting to this list are over.
>People like you make it a big pain in the ass.

As my kids would say, Marvin, "Chill."
My comment was not intended nor constructed (AFAIK) as a Marvin "flame."
Let's face it. Our lives are full of a host of anxieties, yet somehow we
have to go on, yes, in spite of those out there who are a pain in the ass.

But let me deconstruct my tongue-in-cheek comment a bit.  The internal
documents of a company are neither intended nor distributed for general
consumption, and realistically,  the idea that one would want to
copyright in any sense an internal document is a bit of a non-sequitur.
Once one of your documents is out there in the public eye, it's gone
(sorry), with or without its associated font.  So let's imagine Company
X has a load of internal documents composed of GPL'd fonts.  Who is the
person/organization/agency that would say, "You must release these
documents"? (Ok, except for SCO.)

At any rate, as noted by others, your points are well taken.  At this
point people (I think) understand the issues you raise, and are either
going to change their approach, or not.  Yet another stone on the
anxiety heap we all get up with every day.  Scribus is bigger than this,
and more important than this one issue.

Greg