[Scribus] font licence

Tobias Hilbricht hilbricht
Mon Apr 18 11:31:33 CEST 2005

Am Sonntag, 17. April 2005 22:11 schrieb Andreas Vox:
> With that said, my opinion is that embedded fonts might make a document
> a derivative work.
> If distributed it would have to be GPL'd.

In "Die TeXnische Kom?die" 2/2002 pp 35-46 is an article by the German
lawyers / advocates Till  Jaeger and Olaf Koglin titled "Der rechtliche
Schutz von Fonts" dealing with this issue. The summary is:
Fonts can be protected as design (Geschmacksmuster) and, if they are of
artistic value and originality, by Urheberrecht (copyright). This part is
free of any software licensing issues. Font files (*.pfb, *.ttf etc.) are
only protected as software, if the hinting has been done by original creative
programming. Autohinting and little design changes using programs such as eg
fontforge is not sufficient to make the resulting font a protectable software
program. Mere inclusion of fonts either rasterized or in form of vectors
makes the resulting documents not a program itself, therefore this document
is free of any software licensing issues if printed or distributed
electronically.

Yours sincerely

Tobias Hilbricht