[Scribus] font management

Bart Alberti bart
Sun Apr 17 22:33:22 CEST 2005

"Gee whiz," as they say in the States, here! I guess there is no reason
to use gpl fonts if the authors of the font even remotely claim the
content, too! We might as well confine ourselves to the proprietary
fonts where they explicitly disavow the content; after all you paid for
the use up front! But then, why use gpl fonts for anything but personal
copy? it makes no sense. Yes, the gpl has been enforced and recognized
(don't jump to conclusions! please.); but that was for unambiguous
software and the challenge here in the USA is by no means resolved even
as to software, although we hear there is some low level court
recognition. The gpl is sweeping in its terms; but it has not been
definitively litigated, as this, obviously, is a whirlpool especially on
this particular issue.
I am happy, though, to have provoked this sub-thread, which is likely to
go on for some time. The wiki, I submit, should inform and warn of this
issue since it has been explicitly been brought to the attention of the
list. The lawyers call this 'fair warning.'

Bart Alberti