[Scribus] font management?

Louis Desjardins louisdesjardins
Sun Apr 17 17:46:28 CEST 2005

>On Sun, 2005-04-17 at 08:04 -0700, frank gaude' wrote:
>
>>  Does Linux have a problem with installing 1000 fonts at one time, with
>>  speed or other things?
>
>I have a bit over 2000 installed on my system at the moment and haven't
>noticed any issues. Scribus takes a while to load, since it processes
>each font with freetype at start-up (We might need to look into a
>"psfontname cache" or something), but it's not unbearable. Most other
>apps load fonts on demand only and don't need to prescan them, so they
>don't even seem to care that the system has oodles of fonts installed.

That's very interesting. In the Mac world, this isn't the case. Fonts
do make things slower, even on big hardware... hmmmm not G5s (didn't
test) but dual 1,25 GHz G4s with 1 GB RAM. This is why we rely on
utility programs such as Suitcase. By my own little experience with
Macs, I assumed the same would occur in the Linux world. I see it's
totally different. Very interesting. In that case, it would only be
more convenient for Scribus users to be offered a way of gathering
the fonts used in a particular project if you don't want an endless
menu ... nothing to do with performance as such. I just can't imagine
2000 fonts opened on a Mac... Coffee, someone? :)

At the end of the day, you discover you couldn't get away without
learning something new!

I love that!

Louis