[Scribus] Faster printing of large pages, PS/PCL6

Eilert eilert-sprachen
Wed Apr 13 11:15:10 CEST 2005

Hello folks,

Now that I've mastered the way of inserting PDFs in a Scribus document
and printing several pages on one larger page (psbook, psnup), I am
encountering a speed problem with my printer.

The printer driver seems to send every page as a separate print job, so
it will take about 3 - 4 minutes until the next page appears. Maybe the
printer's RIP is so slow, but it's too slow to be used in practice.

1. Isn't there a way of changing the printer's ppd or the filter or
whatever so it tells the printer to keep the rendered page and use it
for whatever many copies I want?

2. If there is no way of doing it so, I might be better off using PCL
instead, thus having Ghostscript on the way faster server caring about
rasterizing. This helped in my office on a smaller printer before. But I
would need to know some printer name or ppd for PCL which can handle A3
and duplexing. (There is one PCL-6 ppd in my distro (Suse 9.1) which
refuses to do duplexing, however.)

Thanks for all your help!

Rolf