[Scribus] Re: Typography: numbers

Fred Albrecht fred
Tue Apr 12 12:43:48 CEST 2005

James Hatridge wrote:
> Hi Christoph et al...
> On Wednesday 06 April 2005 01:02, Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
>
>>just a little question about correct English typography of numbers for
>>those with eperience in the field.
>>
>>It's common use to separate triple digits in numbers > or = 1000 either
>>with a comma (English) or a dot (most other languages).
>>
>>However, this is incorrect, at least in German typography, where you
>>should use 1000, 10 000, 100 000, 1 Million etc.
>

> This came up in a Berlin math class one time. In the US, England, and one
> other small country (don't remember who), the correct way is 10,000.00 all
> other lands do it 10.000,00.

At least in France, the use of the dot as a separator for thousands (or
three digit groups in general in numbers) has been deprecated for quite
a long time. A non breaking space is now used instead. In other
countries of course YMMV... :)

The comma vs devimal point proble in spreadsheet issue should be handled
by the system's locale settings, not what's stored in the speadsheet
IMO. But I suppose that's application dependant (I don't use
spreadsheets much).