[Scribus] Announcement: typography page on scribus wiki

Fred Albrecht fred
Tue Apr 12 12:34:32 CEST 2005

Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> a few minutes ago, I created a new page for the scribus Wiki, which
> intends to provide some useful hints for those unexperienced in typography:
>
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Typography
>
> The first entries address two common sources of error, ellipses and
> quotation marks.
>
> I hope to add more entries soon. Contributions from connoisseurs and
> wizards with experience in the "black art" (including LaTeX veterans)
> would be much appreciated.

Typography is even more of a black art when you consider that usages can
vary a lot according to language.

I know (a bit of) French typographical rules as standardized by the
"Imprimerie Nationale", the national printing office. Those differ from
English rules on several points, maybe a distinct page would be needed
(should it be in French or in English though, or both maybe ?).

However I've had lots of problems with typographical management in
Scribus mostly with characters outside of the low (latin pages) range of
the Unicode charset. Non-breakable spaces for example often end-up as
squares (as do en-dashes or em-dashes or a number of other characters).
This is an issue with most fonts even though they do support those
characters (they work fine in OOo for example). I often end up using the
  fonts that come with Windows because they don't seem to exhibit this
behaviour. I haven't pinpointed where the problem comes from exactly.