[Scribus] Typography: numbers

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Wed Apr 6 01:02:30 CEST 2005

Hello everybody,

just a little question about correct English typography of numbers for
those with eperience in the field.

It's common use to separate triple digits in numbers > or = 1000 either
with a comma (English) or a dot (most other languages).

However, this is incorrect, at least in German typography, where you
should use 1000, 10 000, 100 000, 1 Million etc.

I recently had worries with a customer who complained about correct
typography and insisted on using 1.000/1,000 etc. As the 30+ pages
magazine was also published in English (by using scribus!), I was unable
to convince him, because I didn't know the English rules.

Maybe someone has more information on that topic.

BTW, I'm using scribus for print ready DTP for some time now and never
encountered any problem with a professional printer. There was one
exception, but as it turned out, the problem was his rip-device (or his
less than perfect knowledge of how to use it). Thank you scribus team -
excellent work!

Christoph