[Scribus] Docbook XML import

PLinnell mrdocs
Mon Apr 4 21:34:29 CEST 2005

On Monday 04 April 2005 20:14, Steve Herrick wrote:
> Hey, folks, I want to echo Phil's question, here. What's the best
> way to turn DocBook into Scribus' format? TIA.
>
> Steve
>
> On Apr 1, 2005 11:18 AM, Phil Hughes <fyl at a42.com> wrote:
> > When we were first starting TUX magazine I mentioned the idea of
> > importing our XML-tagged files into Scribus so we could use it
> > for layout. (We currently use Quark and converting the Docbook
> > XML to Quark format is one of the many filters we have.)
> >
> > Well, TUX issue 1 is out there done with Quark but we want to get
> > it into Scribus as soon as possible. I am including below a
> > "chunk" of the markup we have. That is, I deleted the unimportant
> > stuff and tried to only include one of each type of thing. There
> > are more but this gives the basic idea.
> >
> > What I am looking for are suggestions on the best approach. That
> > is, we can do a lot of work with XSLT like we do for the other
> > formats, do a lot of work with a Scribus script or a combination.
> > I am guessing a combination is actually the right answer.
> >
> > Whatever we do should get Docbook XML import close to a reality
> > for Scribus. I have added some comments in [ ] below. Thanks for
> > any suggestions.
> >
> > <title>
> > Bidwatcher</title>
> >
> > <author>
> > </author>
> > [There is potentially more in this section. The main thing is
> > that it needs to be moved to the end of the article. Probably
> > something for pre-processing before a Scribus filter sees the
> > article.]
> >
> > <simplesect><title/>
> > <para>
> > <remark role="no-drop-cap"/>
> > eBay is a popular auction portal that lets
> > visitors search for used or new products at a
> > reduced price and bid on those items.
> > </para>
> >
> > <para>
> > What in the world is a snipe, you ask?
> > Sniping is an efficient way to tell Bidwatcher to
> > place a bid on a particular item a few seconds
> > before the auction expires.
> > </para>
> >
> > <mediaobject>
> > <imageobject><imagedata fileref="7947bidf1.png"
> > format="PNG"/></imageobject> [This tag creates instructions to
> > the layout person (message in red) in Quark. Nothing automatic
> > here.]
> > <caption>
> > <para>
> > Bidwatcher Tracking Several eBay Auctions
> > </para></caption></mediaobject>
> >
> > </simplesect>
> >
> > <simplesect>
> > <title>
> > About Bidwatcher:</title>
> >
> > <itemizedlist><listitem>
> > <para>
> > License: GNU General Public License (GPL)
> > </para></listitem>
> >
> > <listitem>
> > <para>
> > Price: Free
> > </para></listitem>

> [...]

Hi,

This one flew right by me and sorry for the slow reply.

There is no native Docbook import filter yet for Scribus.

That said, the Open Office importer works quite well and will inherit
OO styles. I have a suspicion this might work well given the relative
simplicity of the xml you have described.

http://xml.openoffice.org/ has many different xml filters for OO,
which could used to transform Docbook > OO > Scribus Text import.
Note 1.2.2cvs which is a stable branch of CVS has added Open Office
2.0 support.

With some carefully created Scribus document templates, you might find
the text will import with your pre-set fonts,sizes and style intact.

All of this will work with 1.2.2cvs (stable). We have snapshots of
1.2.2cvs on www.scribus.net and rpms and debs are available.

Do let us know how you fare.

Cheers,
Peter