[Scribus] Re: Scribus and GIMP

Craig Bradney cbradney
Mon Apr 4 19:28:06 CEST 2005

Hi Robin,

> Because it would be off-topic for the OpenICC list, I'm replying here. This
> is the first time I've posted to this list. Hope I've come to the right
> place to learn about how Scribus works with GIMP.
>
> > Gimp is one of the programs Scribus relies on (as theres
> > no PS etc on Linux). Gimp has the user basem and many of them need it to
> > move
> > into this domain.

We simply provide an Edit option when you right click on an image. Scribus
doesnt rely on Gimp as such, but given the userbase of Gimp and its
popularity over most editors, this is where we tend to "rely" on it.

> Franz Schmid didn't sound enthusiastic for GIMP for pre-press work in his
> interview in Linux Journal.
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7054
> The issue he discussed was GIMP's lack of CMYK support, not its lack of CMS
> support.

CMS as applied by Scribus is fine, however end to end CMYK and CMS support is
required by some people. Since we now support CMYK-JPG and PSD, and more
versions of TIFF, more people will attempt to use CMYK files too. However, in
the end it does rely on the process used for editing and printing. A recent
example we came across was a printer attempting to support CM and profiled
images etc, but their workstations were not profiled at all. Not sure how
they expected their editing to work properly. These are the things we come
across a lot.

> Relative to the needs of Scribus users, what does CinePaint not do or need
> to do better?

As I mentioned, I do think the GUI matters, but thats an issue for the CP dev
process. Aligning Scribus/Inkscape/Gimp across Qt and GTK2 is hard enough but
we are making progress.

However, I think visibility is a major issue. Theres a lot of people who have
Gimp and use it, and many who might have heard of CinePaint but think Gimp is
the one to use. There are arguments for one or the other. Theres things that
CinePaint probably does that in most cases, many people might not need (16bit
images, etc), and theres things that Gimp doesnt do that many people do need
(CMYK/CM)

I certainly look forward to a closer relationship to move CinePaint forward
and to perhaps bring together a few page of when to use Scribus with Gimp or
Cinepaint, etc.

regards
Craig