[Scribus] Scribus as a replacement for FrameMaker?

John Harrold jmh17
Thu Sep 23 21:53:50 CEST 2004

Sometime in September Adam Stein assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| 1) Automatic text flow
|
| Going thru the tutorial, you manually set up the flow from one text region to
| another.  I have manuals over 100 pages, don't think I want to manually set up
| links.  In FrameMaker, when text reaches the end of a text region, another one
| is created automatically on the next page.  There are ways to manually link text
| regions, but the default is to just keep going onto the next page.  This brings
| me to item #2
|
| 2) It seems that text regions created in the template are not usuable in the
| regular mode which means that not only do you have to manually link text
| regions, you also have to manually created them on each page as well.  Also not
| good when you have 100+ pages.
|
| 3) Book mode.  I did see a book item in the roadmap for v1.3.  I don't remember
| it giving specifics but I would need to generate table of contents, indices,
| list of figures, i.e. generate a list of a given type of marker.
|
| Those three seem to be the biggies that I can think of.  Scribus does most
| everything else that I use (like importing images).  I'm sure I can figure out a
| way to do little things if the big stuff is there like importing C code examples
| (via Python scripts or something).

Silly question, but have you considered LaTeX (or possibly one of the
opensource gui front ends like lyx?). It is ideal for books, and it easily
generates toc's, indices, lof's, bulleted lists. It also provides a really
easy way for sucking up source code examples.

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E