[Scribus] Scribus as a replacement for FrameMaker?

Jeremy C. Reed reed
Thu Sep 23 21:42:03 CEST 2004

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Adam Stein wrote:

> 1) Automatic text flow
> 2) It seems that text regions created in the template are not usuable in
> the regular mode which means that not only do you have to manually link
> text regions, you also have to manually created them on each page as
> well.  Also not good when you have 100+ pages.
>
> 3) Book mode.  I did see a book item in the roadmap for v1.3.  I don't
> remember it giving specifics but I would need to generate table of
> contents, indices, list of figures, i.e. generate a list of a given type
> of marker.

I'd suggest using LyX; it works great for creating books, such as
automatic table of contents, indexing, list of figures, etc. For making
books, it saves a lot of time, because instead of worring about layout and
design, all you do is enter your content (and then let lyx/latex do its
work to do the formatting).

The benefit scribus has over lyx is when you need to add diagrams and
artwork to your books, because it is easier to visualize what you have.
(But lyx does handle figures too -- it just is not WYSIWYG until you have
it show you a dvi, postscript or PDF view.)

Making a tri-fold brochure with lyx took me several hours. With scribus it
just takes minutes. The one issue I have with scribus is that it sometimes
is very slow.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/