[Scribus] Small bug in Scribus 1.2

neil lewis neil
Sun Sep 12 18:54:44 CEST 2004

First, hearty congrats to all the people working on Scribus. It has come
on in leaps and bounds in the past year.

I have however noticed a small bug. It's not critical, insofar as it
does not cause a crash nor data loss, but it is irritating.

I often need to create almost square graphics frames and load large
rectangular jpgs into them. I normally set scaling to "fit to frame"
when loading, then change to "free scaling" with the "proportional"
setting on, then scale and scroll to give the best crop.

When I click the spinbutton to scale larger, the image sometimes shrinks
to a tiny area in the top left corner of the frame. When scrolling, I
sometimes see the image scroll much less than the setting on the spinbox
would suggest.

In either case, if I deselect the image frame, it updates to show the
actual effects of the properties. Reselecting the frame again, it all
works properly.

I have units set to inches. I'm working on pages sized 11.6" x 11"
(don't ask!). I'm typically using image frames between full page size
and about 3.5"x 4.5" with images in jpg format about 3000x2400 pixels in
size. I'm using Scribus 1.2, compiled from source on SuSE Linux 9.1.

Oddly, although this happens regularly on my work PC (built about three
years ago, Athlon 800/512MB RAM/NVidia Vanta), on my home PC (Athlon XP
2.5/512MB/NVidia GForce4) I can't reproduce the bug so far.

Any thoughts, or should I just try recompiling!