[Scribus] bad trouble: could not print at all.

Wayne Maeda iw
Thu Sep 9 04:44:33 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 08 September 2004 06:19 am, Zhang Weiwu wrote:

> Plinnell wrote:
> >On Wednesday 08 September 2004 14:07, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> >>I spent two days design a publication, and the draft must be
> >> printed tomorrow. I only have this Laserjet ps level 2 printer
> >> in the office, if I could not print it, I'll have to find
> >> another good print shop to do it.
> >>
> >>1) print with postscript level 3 make the printer puzzle. Nothing
> >> gets printed.
> >>2) print with postscript level 2, nothing gets printed,
> >> ghostscript coredumps.
> >>3) print to a ps file at level 2, 0 byte file created,
> >> ghostscript coredumps.
> >>4) print to a ps file at level 3, upload it to
> >>http://createpdf.adobe.com and Adobe give me back a pdf file.
> >> Print the PDF file by acroread5, the printer busy flash LED for
> >> one hour and prompt "low printer memory". (Print job size is 2.4
> >> MB and printer memory is 24MB.)
> >>5) export the file as 150 dpi raster image file, print the file
> >> using cups lp(1), result is ugly and hard to recognize, all
> >> fonts less than 9pt could not read, not clear.
> >>6) export as svg not tried: I don't have good apps to print in
> >> that format. 7) export as PDF file, acroead (both Windows
> >> version 6 and Linux version 5) prompt "error number 122" and
> >> half of the pulication objects are not visible (most notibly,
> >> the two charts)
> >>
> >>So there is no way to print it :(
> >>
> >>I don't know why, I am only designing a one page report with two
> >> charts (vector graphics), and scribus takes 10 min to load saved
> >> document on my PIII 800MHz 256 MB memory freeBSD box, and swap
> >> memory usage grows very soon from 0MB to 321MB. Is scribus this
> >> CPU hungary?
> >
> >1) How many Chinese fonts are in the doc ?
>
> two chinese fonts and one English font. I am one of the maintainers
> of the Chinese fonts I used :)
>
> >2) Have you imported any thing as EPS or PDF ?
>
> Yes. After failed on importing a chart from openoffice as SVG (see
> to be an issue? Sorry I am dumb on this.
>
> >3) You could try converting all fonts to outlines before
> > attempting to print or the opposite is occuring, the postscript
> > outlines are too complex for the Laser Jet to print.
>
> perhaps my printer is too limited.
>
> >4) The slow loading is unusual. I can comfortably open and export
> > 70-90 page docs with my elderly PII 450 on Suse 9.1. I have
> > opened and exported large docs with 150 page plus, which resulted
> > in a 250 Mb PDF.
>
> OOOps:) How comes! I am a new user, my publications so far are
> pretty slow. Perhaps I am just bad luck.
>
> >The error number 122 and acro reader issue, I've never ever seen.
>
> Do you think I should now record how to produce this issue and file
> a bug? I am not sure if it's a problem of scribus or the font, or
> the reader. Should I attach the error pdf file?
>
> >As a general note, printing to PS 2 level lasers sometimes can be
> > very slow from DTP apps. I've seen this with both Quark 4 and 5,
> [...]

When I can't print from Scribus I export it as an eps file and use
ghostscript from the command line:

gs -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=lj5mono -sPAPERSIZE=letter -dDITHERPPI=100
-r1200 -sOUTPUTFILE=\|lpr yourfile.eps -c quit

You will have to adjust the -sDEVICE= to your own printer; I use a HP
Laserjet 1300.

Wayne