[Scribus] A few questions (gradients, styles)

Plinnell scribusdocs
Mon Sep 6 19:21:48 CEST 2004

On Monday 06 September 2004 16:41, Chris Smith wrote:
> On Sunday 05 September 2004 01:45 am, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > > 1) Is it possible to apply a gradient to a text frame? So far it looks
> > > to me like I have to convert text to curves in order to do that. Is it
> > > possible to convert it back to text if I need to change it?
> >
> > It does not appear to be possible on a standard text frame at present.
>
> I guess I'm misunderstanding the question as it seems pretty
> straightforward to apply a gradient to a "text frame" (select frame >
> properties > colors > edit fill color > use drop down to choose gradient).
> What I don't how to do, and would like to know, is how to apply a gradient
> to the text itself like that shown in the article:
> http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/lpt/a/5096.
>
> Chris

Making  gradient filled text is quite simple, actually easier in Scribus than
other DTP apps I have done it in:)

1. Make a Text Frame

2. Select your font and increase the font size to 36 pt, just for ease of
manipulation.

3. The select the frame and choose: Item > Convert to Outlines.

4. Then drag around all the text and choose: Item > Combine Polygons

5. Then in the properties panel, choose the fill color and select the drop
down box where the gradient options are listed..Play away. :)

The key thing is combining the polygons treats the fill color as one unit. You
can then even turn the combinded polygons into a picture frame or a text
frame.

Cheers,
Peter