[Scribus] Scribus Nominated As A Finalist For Linux Format Awards 2004

Louis Desjardins louisdesjardins
Fri Sep 3 13:24:46 CEST 2004

? (At) 11h43 +0200 3/09/04, Sebastian R?der ?crivait (wrote) :
>  > All the same, today I was thinking that Scribus is a piece of software
>>  that universities and secondary schools should be made aware of -- there
>>  really isn't anything like it in the whole Mac/PC world, as far as
>>  "free" as in "FREE" software that has these kinds of capabilities to
>>  generate flyers, newsletters, and other high quality DTP work.
>>
>>  Greg
>
>Unfortunally the every day situation is far away from this good idea. The
>teacher of my secondary school who deals with the computer realeted things
>told me some weeks ago when I proposed some Linux software that even the SuSE
>Linux Server has been replaced by a Windows solution. Linux on the Clients
>seems to be impossible for the next decades. I would be glad, if they at
>least teach the students in OpenOffice (on Win) instead of Word, because I do
>not know one student with an valid licence for Word / MS Office ... But most
>of then prefer searching the web for some MS Software cracks than looking for
>free software alternatives.

Schools' management and teachers are certainly aware that cracking
software is illegal. I aknowledge there is still a lot to do in that
area to make sure everyone understands that pretty well. Getting a
free copy of Quark or InDesign might be easy for some people, it is
illegal.

So, really, schools face a real problem when it comes to software :
licensing costs and poor financial resources. This is the kind of
problem we had to address at my daughter's school - and the whole
schoolboard, 50 schools total. Linux is beeing implemented slowly but
surely as we made the point clear there was no future pursuing in the
direction of MS servers and stuff with all the licencing fees,
renewal for each and every "service" we wanted for the students. We
are talking of several thousands of dollar here. [I could say lots
more, not the main subject here!]

About Scribus, I would strongly recommend the setup of an entire DTP
introduction & intermediate school program using that software. On
top, it would be legal! And on top it's localized in so many
languages - with virtually no limits!

If we were to put a comparative list of what Scribus does and what
the other DTP programs do, we'd be all amazingly surprised to realize
Scribus is of very high quality and anyone using it can achieve most
of what can be done with others. This doesn't mean there is not lots
of work to be done to bring Scribus to professionnal level - we are
almost there aren't we. This does mean Scribus has all it takes to be
used in schools, for teaching and light production purposes. At the
end of the program, students would have had all the opportunities to
learn thoroughly all the main techniques DTP demands. I really wonder
if Scribus lacks even one of them. Really. [Maybe my enthusiasm makes
my eyes blink too much!]  And at the end of the year, students that
want to be hired in DTP or prepress shops would have no problem
stepping into Quark or InDesign. (One of the silliest arguments for
not switching to Linux and OpenOffice was that companies work with
Word and students must be ready for that... - and guess how many of
those well-thinking know how to use a stylesheet ... or even only
type...)

Such a DTP school program could also asks the students to participate
in the development of Scribus and now we're getting into the real
stuff : that's what Linux is all about!

Good day to everyone!

Louis