[Scribus] scribus optionally use acroread to print to postscript

Plinnell scribusdocs
Wed Sep 1 09:35:39 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 01 September 2004 04:05, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> Hello. For many a time scribus failed to print correctly, but if export
> as PDF and print with acroread is okay.
>
> I suppose scribus must have created everything the PDF way, and convert
> to postscript for printing by using ghostscript. Can I let scribus
> optionally use acroread for the purpose?
>
> acroread -toPostscript filename.pdf
>
> would be okay.

If Scribus file is not printing correctly, then there are features in your
file which might not be supported by your printer.

Scribus directly creates Level 3 postscript which is then sent to your
printing system. There is an option to print level 2 PS and this uses GS to
"downgrade" the postscript output to level 2 or even level 1. Caution
however, this generates large spool files and may take time to print.

Yes, you can also use acroread from the command line or xpdf to output PS
either with level 2 or level 3 or from the acroread print dialog.

If you have CUPS and kprinter installed you can also print from Acrobat Reader
using 'kprinter' as the print command. I have set this as the default for
printing from Acro Reader for all PDFs, not just Scribus ones. It works
great.

Two other thoughts:

1) Compile Scribus with CUPS support. This just makes life easier.

2) Make sure you have the latest GS available. I have written a howto for
parallel installing GS 8.x . It is on http://docs.scribus.net

Hope that helps,
Peter