[Scribus] argh! no true duotone ink support in scribus for photos

Alastair M. Robinson blackfive
Fri Oct 22 13:29:04 CEST 2004

Hi,

linuxlingam wrote:

> yes, certainly i will be interested. thanks so much.

I'll send it via private mail - and try and find time to update the
website too!

> neat printing hack. i used to do something similar in pagemaker and
> MacDraw circa 1986.

Still using PageMaker here for the newspaper :)

> er.. one question. the design of the magazine could be in 4-color, plus
> a pantone.the client wishes to use the pantone for creating duotones of
> the images. i wonder if this plug-in and/or scribus can be used to
> generate such a five-color output, in halftones all. even if i use the
> pantone shade on an identical angle for m, or c, the idea is that the
> photographs and images could be two-color duotone.

As far as I know, Scribus doesn't yet support spot colours, and the
reason for my hack is that baseline TIFF doesn't either.  (I know,
there's an extension that does...)

If you're doing the duotone thing for special effect rather than
economy, why not just get the preview looking right in the GIMP, flatten
it, and separate it to 4-colour process?  The screen patterns won't be
exactly the same, but the effect should carry across quite nicely.

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson