[Scribus] Problem with export to PDF

Michele mfrance
Thu Oct 7 14:54:24 CEST 2004

Alle 00:09, gioved? 7 ottobre 2004, Helmut Kauer ha scritto:
> Hallo,
> if i expot to PDF, then i get a pdf-file. I can open and print. But
> when i (or a friend without Linux and scribus)will copy the text to
> a editor, then i have many empty placis in the words.

In the last days I looked at the pdf lib in Scribus: when font subsetting is
used, it seems that the glyphs are embedded as lineart images and not as a
font (a possible solution might be creating a type 3 font). This makes
impossible to acorbat to recover the text string.
There are two other possible issues:
-AFAIK, the characters are exported as isolated text elements (I mean that the
pdf command Tj is used to write a singe character at a time). This make more
difficult for Acrobat to recover text strings.
-In the PDF Reference manual there's written that when using a truetype font
no Encoding should be specified. Scribus instead specifies the Encoding (many
encoding, indeed). The reference manual also suggest toUnicode CMap, to aid
text string recovering.

I'm currently working at a truetype font subsetting routine to add to pdflib.
I think that a possible improvement in the pdflib could be both switching to
unicode strings, CID font embedding, and, possibly word or at least subword
grouping of the strings to be rendered.

Please feedback your opinions!

Michele