[Scribus] pdf resolution issue

Craig Bradney cbradney
Thu Oct 7 09:59:01 CEST 2004

On Thursday 07 October 2004 05:32, Sunil Joshi wrote:
> Thank you for your suggestion, Martin.  I tried what you suggested, and
> saved a ps file.  As such, Scribus does not seem to recognize the ps
> file in the "get picture" dialog.  If one selects "all files", the ps
> file show up, but nothing seems to get imported.
>
> If one selects The File>Import>EPS/PS dialog seem to recognize the ps
> file, but importing it that way does not seem to work either (I can't
> see the image yet, the program was been trying to import it for last 5
> minutes - its kind of frozen, but now back live).  If I change the
> extension to eps, the file is now seen/recognized, but again, nothing
> gets imported.

With both of these not working, I'd like to get a copy of the PS file so we
can have a read to see if a) its valid, b) where our importer isnt working.

> So, the best solution seems to be importing the pdf file.  There is no
> mechanism to change the DPI setting of pdf in Mac Print command.  When
> I import the pdf generated using Mac print command, the pdf seems to be
> a 72 x 72 lpi.
>
> Else where, Craig had suggested that I try to use Ooffice (thank you
> Craig) to generate the pdf and I tried that technique.  the OOO pdf
> converter does allow one to select a higher dpi.  I selected 1200 dpi
> and saved the pdf document.  Upon importing it into the image box, it
> seems to at least import the pdf.  One concern however is that even
> though the DPI selected was 1200, the info command shows a LPI of 141x
> 141 only.

The original PPI is 141?

> The pdf image seems very grainy and diffused, so not clear if there
> would be printing issues (I'll find out soon and report the difference
> between the two techniques-Mac's print to pdf, and ooo's higher dpi
> pdf).  However it is clear from this discussion that importing tables
> in Scribus is still a challenge, and so is creating a nicely
> formattable table.  There also seems to be an ps importing issue, which
> I am not sure if its only my issue or a broader issue.

It will show at 72dpi on the canvas as a preview though. It only matter what
prints out. Tables are due for a major upgrade in 1.3 and the PS importer is
as above. Finding more realworld, and valid, PS files are the only way we can
cover all issues within them.

Craig