[Scribus] pdf resolution issue

Sunil Joshi pavansut
Mon Oct 4 04:26:53 CEST 2004

Craig:  Thank you for your suggestions!  I will try later tonight to
import the scribus pages and see if that resolves the issue.

I have no doubt this solution will work perfectly for scribus created
documents (pages).  However, on another page, I have a table layout,
which due to the complexity of formatting, I am creating in Microsoft
excel, and saving it as a pdf document (through print menu on Mac).
Unfortunately, on Mac, I am not aware of a way to save the pdf in
higher resolution than the standard.

Is there another, perhaps better way to import spreadsheet selection
while retaining its styles?

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

Sunil

On Sunday, October 3, 2004, at 01:28  AM, Craig Ringer wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-10-03 at 07:02, Sunil Joshi wrote:
>
>> I have created two pdf pages "page2.pdf" and "page7.pdf" which are
>> then
>> laid out on a separate page to create a spread (labeled
>> insidespread1.pdf).  When I view the separate pdf pages in Acrobat,
>> the
>> text resolution is perfect.  Its also perfect when I print these two
>> pages on the 600 dpi laser printer (Brother 5070N).  However, when I
>> view the insidespread1.pdf document in acrobat, the text resolution
>> appears to be lower, and text does not print cleanly on the same
>> printer.
>
> Scribus currently rasterises PDFs placed on the pages when it outputs a
> new PDF. As a result, instead of drawing instructions your document
> contains images, making it both larger and lower quality.
>
> Direct embedding of PDF in PDF is not currently supported - my
> understanding is that it's quite hard, too. I'm not aware of _anything_
> else that can do it, in fact. Acrobat can insert pages from one PDF
> into
> another, but I don't think even Acrobat 6 Pro can place one PDF onto a
> region of another PDF.
>
> I believe one commonly suggested workaround for what you are presently
> trying to do is to import the Scribus pages instead and arrange them.
>
> For PostScript output it is also possible to export the pages as EPS
> files, as they will be included verbatim in the new PS file (this does
> not apply to PDF input or output). In fact, it's possible to export a
> PostScript document containing the two EPSs then use ps2pdf from
> GhostScript to make a perfectly good PDF. Do get a recent version of
> GhostScript if you're going to do this, though.
>
> Another option is to simply export the PDF at a higher resolution,
> though this will make it even larger. It'll also take longer and use
> more memory.
>
> --
> Craig Ringer

www.jayateas.com