[Scribus] Local fonts and SQL integration

Craig Ringer craig
Wed Nov 17 18:17:01 CET 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 22:55, Rohit Dhawan wrote:

> I mean implementation of  a system where in a system that is open
> source and has ability to be remotely updated with fonts and
> provides the ability to user for using all the new and old fonts
> housed on a server.

> Something like Adobe's ATM font manager(It does not have server option).

A bit like Suitcase Server?

If so, it's actually really easy. You can use a network volume (eg NFS
or SMB file share) to hold your fonts - Linux will handle this
efficiently and correctly.

You will need to prepare the directories containing the fonts a little,
though. There are two major font systems currently used in Linux, and
programs on a single Linux install may use one or the other
(occasionally even both). Both need to be told where to find the folder.
This is a workstation setup issue, a bit like telling SuitCase what the
IP address of the font server is.

I'll hunt up some references for how to set the FontConfig and X11 font
paths in a bit - I'm afraid I lack the time at this moment.

If you're looking for something that caches the fonts locally, it can be
done - and is only slightly more fiddly. The best way would probably
just to use a normal file synchronisation tool like rsync or unison to
update the workstation's font repositories at every boot.

> as for hooking Scribus into various databases could you forward a set
> method for one which you have at least some success rate so that i can
> come up with a suggestion and other methods for implementation with
> our development team.

I've been meaning to write some simple database-integration examples for
a while now, so I'll be glad to do that. Again, not tonight though.

--
Craig Ringer