[Scribus] It took quite a long time to load Chinese fonts

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Sat May 29 16:16:51 CEST 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-29 at 09:48, Kite Lau wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am new to this group, but I have been using scribus for quite a while
> creating some manuals and packaging layouts. Thanks for this great
> program. I tried to input Chinese characters within scribus and found
> that for the first time, it takes quite a long time to load Chinese
> fonts. Scribus seemed to be in a standstill til fonts were out there. As
> soon as a font had been loaded once, it was very responsive though when
> selecting the same fonts again. The font name is Simsun.ttf and
> SimHei.ttf that I tested with. And the version of scribus is 1.1.6.
>
> Thanks

Hi,

This behavior is completely expected given the size of the fonts.
Simsun.ttf is 10 Mb. I have tested Scribus with Bitstream Cyberbit, one
of the largest Unicode fonts available and it took Scribus quite a bit
of time to load as well.

The large majority of True Type or Open Type fonts are less than 400k
per font. Because of the number of glyphs in Asian fonts, they are
typically huge in comparison.

If you were to load the same fonts on Win32 you would see similar load
times when booting.

Officially, we do not support Chinese, but you can use Chinese and other
Asian scripts in Scribus. One hint, make sure you select the option to
subset these fonts in Edit > Preferences > Fonts. Otherwise, you will
have large PDF's and long spool times for printing. Another option,
would be to convert the text to outlines before exporting to PDF or
printing.

Hope that helps,
Peter