[Scribus] Scribus Feature Requests and Discussion

ephemeron ephemeron
Tue May 25 00:45:52 CEST 2004

On 24. May 2004 at 12:30PM +0800,
Craig Ringer <craig at postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 16:05, Jon Phillips wrote:
>
> > Anyway, if there is anyway at least to support dynamic
> > updating of RTF's which contain style markup, or any plugins,
> > this would be greatly beneficial! I really want to have like
> > 10 text files that other individually maintain in CVS, and
> > then one master Scribus document that I can just hit update
> > and the texts are changed in the master. This would make
> > design so much simpler!!!
>
> This is something I, too, have been interested in. I haven't
> yet been able to figure out how it could work when the "story"
> file includes a headline, etc, though. Sure, the text could be
> updated ; but the DTP user would still need to re-style
> everything, possibly add or remove linked text boxes, etc.

I've seen something like this implemented from the late 80's
DOS(!) DTP program Ventura (KB for KB probably the best DTP
program).  IRC Ventura messed with the original document.  In my
case it was my WordStar files.  I could still edit the WordStar
file but lots of <funny> tags appeared in the text.  I just took
care not to touch the tags Ventura inserted.  Since WordStar was
infinitely faster than Ventura, this was a happy substitute for
full file interchangeability between the DTP and the word
processing program

[...]