[Scribus] little CMS

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Mon May 24 03:36:51 CEST 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-23 at 15:39, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> Having now tried several times to figure out how to use little CMS, I
> have no idea what else to try.
>
> I have downloaded and compiled lcms, downloaded and installed RPMs
> (including lcms-utils), and while I end up with various files installed
> on my computer, I don't have any clue how to use lcms.  The lcms website
> is of no help unless one is willing to program in C.

You don't "use" lcms, it is a support library to enable ICC color
management with Scribus.

> The Scribus site refers to something called "qtmonitorprofiler", which I
> would normally expect would be an invocable executable, yet it does not
> seem to exist as such.  I can find some doc files that are in
> subdirectories of .../qtMonitorProfiler/... but nothing helpful.

The profiler package needs to be compiled. But that is tricky with Qt 3
and/or Fedora/RH. They were setup for Suse installs.

> My assumption at this point is that either lcms has changed and that the
> documentation on Scribus is out of date, or that the documentation
> applies to Windows.
>
> Perhaps the Scribus site should stop advocating the use of lcms unless
> the documentation is either upgraded and/or improved.
>
> Greg Pittman

The profiling tools are now longer available as of yesterday. These are
used to make scanner and monitor profiles for use with Scribus.

To make a long story short, the next version of the profilers were sold
to a third party. Marti is only offering profilers on Windows and only
for beta testing, but they will work under WINE. Not all of the
profilers work properly on Linux and Marti, I believe did not have
enough know how with Qt to support them as well as he wished.

That said, I have all the source code (they are GPL) to them and I am
working on getting them to build properly on Fedora. At some point, I
might make RPM's available for Suse and Fedora, if I can get them
working properly. My concern is maintaining them over the long haul.

http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/scribus/documentation/lcms/moncal.html
has hints on using these.

So yes, technically the docs are out of date, but only by a day.

Peter