[Fwd: Re: [Scribus] Scribus crashing with tutorial PDF export]

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Wed May 19 00:36:41 CEST 2004

-----Forwarded Message-----
From: Peter Linnell <scribusdocs at atlantictechsolutions.com>
To: Pete Phillips <pete at smtl.co.uk>
Cc: scribus at nashi.altmuehlnet.de
Subject: Re: [Scribus] Scribus crashing with tutorial PDF export
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 08:58:10 -0400

On Tue, 2004-05-18 at 03:43, Pete Phillips wrote:
> Morning all.
>
> Compiler: gcc-3.3.1-29
> QT: qt3-3.2.1-56
> Distribution Suse 9.0 (with latest updates from Suse and Rubber Turnip
> gnome stuff)
>
> Anything else required ?
>
> Pete

>     Peter> On Sunday 16 May 2004 10:23 am, Pete Phillips wrote:
>     >> I downloaded the excellent tutorial files from
>     >> http://www.bhairon.com/gnulinux.html (fantastic work by the way).
>     >>
>     >> If I load up the FYug.sla in Scribus (CVS downloaded and built
>     >> today, Sunday 16th), the document comes up OK, but if I try to
>     >> export as a PDF, I get Scribus crash message due to signal #11.
>     >>
>     >> Is this a known bug, or is there anything I can do to help debug
>     >> this ?
>     >>
>     >> Pete
>
>     Peter> Hi,
>
>     Peter> A bit more detail would be helpful. i.e. distro, Qt version,
>     Peter> compiler version etc..
>
>     Peter> I can tell you there is rarely a problem with the PDF export
>     Peter> code and consider it some of the most stable code in
>     Peter> Scribus. The file in question was exported dozens of times on
>     Peter> recent CVS, as I was testing conversions.
>
>     Peter> Cheers, Peter

Hi,

Try.
1) Re downloading the files... ? Corrupted download or extraction ?

2) Re-name your .scribus directory.

3) Remove the freefonts package. Some of the fonts in that are not the
best quality.
4) If you do not use KDE, I can recommend upgrading Qt from here:
ftp://ftp.leo.org/pub/suse/i386/supplementary/KDE/update_for_9.0/base/qt3-3.3.2-3.i586.rpm
and
ftp://ftp.leo.org/pub/suse/i386/supplementary/KDE/update_for_9.0/development/

I have SuSE 9.0 here with KDE 3.2.2 and Qt 3.3.2-3 from the SuSE
updates. Scribus has worked wonderfully from Day 1.

Hope that helps,
Peter