[Scribus] making a minimum necessary size text box

Randolph Bentson bentson
Sat May 15 06:50:48 CEST 2004

I'm writing some Python scripts to collect information and place it
on Scribus pages.  This information comes in what could be regarded
as paragraphs of variable size.

I would like to create a series of text boxes just large enough
for each paragraph, with small fixed spacing between text boxes.

The trouble I'm having is that the text layout code is deep in the
system, outside of my access.  Therefore I don't know how big to
make the box.

Ideally I'd like to create an oversized box, insert text, examine
some attribute which says where the last text in the box is located
(as relative X,Y coordinates in points or some such), and then
resize the box.  Is there such an attribute?

Or perhaps...  when I use the system interactively I can see the
box is not big enough when a boxed-X appears in the text box.
Might there be a some attribute I can check to see if a box has
overflowed?

On a related note, is there a way to chain text boxes from Python?
(The paragraphs run to more than one page, so I'd like to chain to
a box on the following page.)

If the answer to any of these questions is "no", I invite suggestions
on how to formulate a bug-track/request entry describing the
appropriate feature.

(I'm running 1.1.5 Build-ID: 14.February 2004 *-C-T)

--
Randolph Bentson
bentson at holmsjoen.com