[Scribus] Symbol font does not work on Fedora Core 1

Mikko Huhtala mhuhtala
Sun May 9 14:48:01 CEST 2004

I installed Scribus 1.1.6 from the fedora.us RPM (the scribus.net RPM
gave the relocation/symbol not found error) and the font-preview RPM
from scribus.net.

The only Symbol font that appears available for use in Scribus is
OpenSymbol, but the characters are rendered as open rectangles on the
screen and not at all in PDF output. This happens with the automated
font preview plugin, too. OpenOffice behaves equally badly with
OpenSymbol on Fedora Core 1.

Cutting and pasting e.g. Greek characters from the GNOME Unicode
Character Map to Scribus does not work at all, but does work with Gimp
2.0, Abiword and other GTK 2 programs.

The freetype library version is 2.1.4 and XFree86 version 4.3.0 (stock
Fedora packages).

Has anyone got Symbol fonts to work in Scribus on Fedora? This is a
show-stopping problem for me and my colleagues, since we frequently
need Greek symbols for scientific presentations.

Mikko