[Scribus] setting a bleed parameter

Louis Desjardins louisdesjardins
Sat May 8 20:09:11 CEST 2004

Hi Ruth,

Bleed is a missing feature so far, at least for 1.1.6. I am not aware
if this was introduced within the last CVSs. Anyway, if you didn't
find the feature, let's assume you don't have it.

When your job is going to be trimmed to its intended format, and if
your page contains elements that are printed to the edge, there could
be a very "noisy" white strip without bleed, between the edge of the
page and the edge of the image(s). These 3mm of extra image will help
your printer achieve a perfect result. Remember that making up a page
in Scribus is all a matter of exactitude thanks to the computer.
Handling paper on a cutter is a mechanical operation and although
machinery can be very precise, with the help of laser guides, there
is always a need for this 3mm bleed. No matter how skilled is the
operator and how fancy is his cutter.

On top of that, I would suggest you wouldn't set any text (or
sensitive element) over a 3mm margin on the page itself. Unless you
know what you're doing ;-) This is called the "safe area". On some
presses, it could even be wider.

2 scenarios can occur.

1. Leave your document as is. The printer will not be able to add
bleed to it and will print the document as is. When finishing, he
will do without bleed and will cut a little inside the crop marks to
achieve a nice job. You can discuss that with your printer. It all
depends on the layout and on your will to have a slightly smaller
document.

If you can't live with scenario 1, you will need to go to plan B.
2. Make a longer and wider document in order to set it the way your
printer wants it, with bleed. I would suggest you precisely measure
the same amount of bleed all around your document because chances are
your printer will just center your pages in his imposition software.
You don't want your document off-centered.

By the way, bleed is an absolute need for Scribus to get in the
professional field. I am sure this feature will be implemented. It's
only a matter of time!

hth ;-)

Louis