[Scribus] Translations and 1.2cvs

Nicolas Boos nicolas.boos
Fri May 7 19:49:25 CEST 2004

Le Thu, 06 May 2004 17:08:48 +0200
Craig Bradney <cbradney at zip.com.au> ?crivait :

Hi,

[...]

> > So can any of the developers tell me what the position is in regard
> > to updating translations (assuming that the problem above is in fact
> > a translation issue)?
>
> IMNSHO, the ts/qm method seems easiest.. as a quick rundown (ie, soon
> to be howto):

The po/qm one is also very easy.

> Set your language in the Scribus.pro file at the end.

Generate the list of source files to scan :

   [...]/po$ find .. | grep -e "\.c" -e "\.cpp" -e "\.h" > POTFILES.in

Create the generic scribus.pot file :

   [...]/po$ xgettext -f POTFILES.in -o scribus.pot -ktr --force-po

> Run lupdate Scribus.pro

Update your po file :

   [...]/po$ msgmerge -U --backup=none your.po scribus.pot

> Open scribus.lang.ts file in kbabel or qt linguist

Idem. But here you're less constrained by the PO format. Choose
your favourite (specialized or not) editor : gtranslator, kbabel,
poedit, emacs, vim, etc.

> Update the strings, and save and close

Idem.

> lrelease scribus.lang.ts -qm scribus.lang.qm

   $ msg2qm your.po your.qm

> Copy files to installed translation dir, run Scribus, check
> translations are ok.
> Submit new bug on bugs.scribus.net once translation is complete and
> upload translation.

Idem.

What I don't understand (and personnaly disagree) is the choice of the
ts format for translations, don't understand why it is better than po...

The ts format has more disadvantages than advantages, imho...

Cheers,

   Nicolas