[Scribus] Translations and 1.2cvs

Craig Bradney cbradney
Thu May 6 17:08:48 CEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 15:49, Kevin Donnelly wrote:
> I've just installed the Debian package for Scribus on a new box, and it is
> 1.2cvs.  When I opened it, the top menu bar is in English instead of Welsh,
> althought the rest of the app is in Welsh.  When I downloaded the cvs tree,
> and opened scribus.cy.ts, there are no fuzzies listed, ie apparently the
> translation is complete.
>
> Is the menubar issue a Scribus issue, or does the translation in fact need to
> be updated?  If the latter, how are translators supposed to know about the
> new strings if they don't appear in the ts file?  Is there any system in
> Scribus development which periodically runs a script which will re-export all
> the program strings, check them against the existing translations, and log a
> fuzzy in the translation file if the string has been changed (a la KDE tree)?
> Or do the translators, apart from spending many hours translating, expected
> to have to download the latest CVS and run something themselves to extract
> new/changed strings (this would really NOT be translator-friendly)?
>
> I suppose I'm just asking for some confirmation about the system for
> internationalising Scribus.  I don't remember any exchange of views about the
> change to ts/qm instead of po/mo, although that may have happened on a
> developer's list, and yet in my view the Qt translation tools are
> considerably inferior to existing po tools such as KBabel.
>
> So can any of the developers tell me what the position is in regard to
> updating translations (assuming that the problem above is in fact a
> translation issue)?

IMNSHO, the ts/qm method seems easiest.. as a quick rundown (ie, soon to
be howto):

Set your language in the Scribus.pro file at the end.
Run lupdate Scribus.pro
Open scribus.lang.ts file in kbabel or qt linguist
Update the strings, and save and close
lrelease scribus.lang.ts -qm scribus.lang.qm
Copy files to installed translation dir, run Scribus, check translations
are ok.
Submit new bug on bugs.scribus.net once translation is complete and
upload translation.

Craig