[Scribus] Postscript import into Scribus?

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Fri May 7 14:55:17 CEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 22:30, Ruth Ann Cullis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've almost have my wife off of her Windows computer, but one program
> that is her last hold out is MS Publisher.  I did find out that MS
> Publisher does export any publisher file to Postscript, but alas, no
> DTP program will import between the freeware and proprietary programs
> so that you can edit the file.  Even UNIX tools will export text and
> maybe graphics, but not as a complete file.  If Scribus could import or
> convert any PDF or PS file so that it could be worked on, it would be
> really helpful.  Thanks for a great program.  I'm using it on Linux at
> the moment, eagerly awaiting for Mac OS X version.  Thanks.
>
> Kevin

Alas, one huge barrier is even the Postscript from MS applications is
quite poor and notoriously difficult to import into other applications.
MS Pub Files are undocumented and closed source. Ask any experienced
pre-press person about MS Pub files. More than likely they will roll
their eyes and will be ready to regale the inquirer with their own
horror story..;)

Transferring between DTP application is never easy owing to their
complexity. Even importing PageMaker > InDesign can be tricky and Adobe
has access to the code and file formats.

You can import single page PDFs or EPS files into Scribus, but they wil
not be editable and the results are highly dependent on the the quality
generated by the originating application.

Thanks for the kind words,
Peter