[Scribus] Scribus+OpenBox and more

Serban Udrea S.Udrea
Thu Mar 18 15:09:29 CET 2004

Hello,

And first of all big thanks to all who work on this very nice piece of
software.

Now, unfortunatelly I have some problems :-(

1. I cannot get Scribus to run properly when I use the OpenBox v. 3.1
window manager. Presently I do not know if it is Scribus or OpenBox,
because:

a) while with other WMs I have no similar problems
b) I have no problems with OpenBox and other Qt-applications

If I start Scribus and use OpenBox the main window of the application
pops up but then nothing  else works. For instance, instead of menus I
get grey rectangels. Starting Scribus from an xterm window reveals error
messages like the ones in the attached file.

The next points refer at using Scribus with another WM (e.g. icewm),
with which it works.

2. I like to use mm as length units. After setting this, the values on
the vertical ruler are not set correctly, they are 10 times smaller.

3. The numbers on the horizontal ruler are never complete. The upper
part is missing. It looks like they are not redrawn properly after the
little red arrow passes over.

4. During the resize of a box (for text or image) intermediate positions
of the box frame are persistent on the screen until I release the mouse
button and the final box is drawn. This looks very ugly :-( even if it
is not critical.

5. Scribus seems relativelly slow. E.g. slower than OpenOffice v. 1.1
Impress when I try to do the same thing: an A0-poster. Actually I
discovered Scribus while looking for WSYIWYG software to prepare posters
for conferences under Linux.

Finally, system information:

Soft:

Slackware 9.1-based
Qt 3.2.1-mt
gcc 3.2.3
libc 2.3.2
X 4.3 with gatos drivers

Hard:

ACER TravelMate 529TXV laptop

850 MHz P-III
384 MB RAM
ATI Rage Mobility P/M AGP 2x graphics chip
8 MB graphics RAM

Here I finish :-)

Best regards,

Serban Udrea