[Scribus] Isolating a CVS install

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Wed Mar 17 16:17:08 CET 2004

VANEK Petr wrote:

>>OK, I've been hearing about all the fun of the cvs builds,
>>but I'm actually
>>producing a few things using 1.1.5 I'd like to play with the
>>cvs, but I'm
>>afraid I will end up with something unworkable for the jobs
>>I've committed to
>>do. I don't have the luxury of another machine to play with -
>>how can I isolate
>>an installation of cvs versions for 'experimentation'?
>>

>when you download cvs sources into any directory.
>you can do there:
>1) make -f Makefile.dist
>2)./configure --prefix=/home/yourhomedir/place_where_you_want_to_install_cvs_version
>3) make
>4) make install
>
>you can run then
>/home/yourhomedir/place_where_you_want_to_install_cvs_version/bin/scribus
>
>e.g.
>I've got following situation:
>gentoo ebuild 1.1.5 installed in /usr
>daily cvs in /home/subzero/devel/SCRIBUS
>1.0.1 in /home/subzero/devel/1scribus
>
>petr

At the same time, I would say that there is no reason to fear the cvs
versions (of Scribus).  The worst that could happen would be the need
for a 'make uninstall', but I've never had to do that.  Just keep your
non-cvs version handy to go back to if/when needed.  Rarely I've seen
messages on the list where something inadvertently gets broken in a new
cvs version, but that gets fixed as soon as it's recognized.
My way of keeping up is to download from cvs only every few days at most
-- if there's any big change in a new version someone will indicate that
on the list.

Greg Pittman