[Scribus] Scribus v. Tex

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Tue Mar 16 15:35:45 CET 2004

LinuxLingam wrote:

>until scribus, tried researching and grappling with tex, but just gave
>up after a few months. my conclusion: tex is for document engineering,
>while scribus is for art directors and designers.

I use Tex quite a bit, and for the things that it does well, it does
them extremely well.  Page control and placement of objects on a page
can be quite a chore -- trial and error and trial and error and...  I
have incorporated some EPS graphics, and while it's doable, it ain't
easy.  As soon as you want to make the jump to color, Scribus just
leaves it in the dust.

>incidentally, does scribus use concepts from tex for its typography
>engine? so far, i am quite impressed with the typography engine of TeX,
>and of indesign. i strongly feel that several new ideas are yet to be
>implemented in either, though.

For a project without a publicly visible 'roadmap', Scribus absolutely
amazes me. Franz and the other project members seem truly possessed --
in a good way, of course.  It also helps that they seem to be very good
at the skills needed.

G Pittman