[Scribus] install problem under RH8

LinuxLingam linuxlingam
Tue Mar 16 15:11:04 CET 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 19:13, Gregory Pittman wrote:

> This whole thread should be saved for the Scribus archives as the most
> frenzied international effort at a Scribus install to date.
> We all felt your pain.
>
> G Pittman

thank you. i did not mention earlier, that i have been closely following
the development, screenshots, features, of scribus, since april-may2002,
when scribus started. i used redhat 7.0, then 7.1, then 7.2, then 7.3,
but scribus always jumped ahead, by the time i upgraded. finally, i
found it would just not install, and this time-period lasted nearly 8
months, till day-before. so, just browsed your site and watched it grow,
while checking it out superficially via knoppix.
am so thrilled that scribus got installed that i went out for a 40
minute drive all alone near midnight the other day, just singing and
humming to myself.

until scribus, tried researching and grappling with tex, but just gave
up after a few months. my conclusion: tex is for document engineering,
while scribus is for art directors and designers.

incidentally, does scribus use concepts from tex for its typography
engine? so far, i am quite impressed with the typography engine of TeX,
and of indesign. i strongly feel that several new ideas are yet to be
implemented in either, though.

:-)
LL