[Scribus] install problem under RH8

LinuxLingam linuxlingam
Fri Mar 12 20:12:46 CET 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 22:30, BandiPat wrote:
> LinuxLingam wrote:
> > hi!
> >
> > am trying to install scribus 1.1.5 under my redhat8 system.
[snip]

> > i receive the following errors in the tail-end of the screen dump. (have
> > archived the full output for reference, too).
> >
> > ***
> > make[3]: *** [shadebutton.o] Error 1
> > make[3]: Leaving directory `/scribus/scribus-1.1.5/      scribus'
> > make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> > make[2]: Leaving directory `/scribus/scribus-1.1.5/      scribus'
> > make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/scribus/scribus-1.1.5'
> > make: *** [all] Error 2
> > ***
[snip]

> LL,
>
> Look a bit earlier before you get this stoppage for the real error.
> Usually what you have posted is the stopping point, but not the error
> that the compile has run into earlier.

first of all, thanks Patrick for your response. here is what i think is
the stopping point:

***
/usr/lib/qt3-gcc3.2/bin/moc ./shadebutton.h -o shadebutton.moc
source='shadebutton.cpp' object='shadebutton.o' libtool=no \
depfile='.deps/shadebutton.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/shadebutton.TPo' \
depmode=gcc3 /bin/sh ../admin/depcomp \
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/usr/include/libart-2.0
-I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/lib/qt3-gcc3.2/include
-I/usr/X11R6/include  -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT  -D_REENTRANT  -O2
-fno-exceptions -fno-check-new  -c -o shadebutton.o `test -f
'shadebutton.cpp' || echo './'`shadebutton.cpp
shadebutton.cpp: In member function `int ShadeButton::getValue()':
shadebutton.cpp:60: no matching function for call to
`QString::remove(const
   char[3])'
/usr/lib/qt3-gcc3.2/include/qstring.h:500: candidates are: QString&
   QString::remove(unsigned int, unsigned int)
make[3]: *** [shadebutton.o] Error 1
***

>  Peter is suspecting your libart
> version, which you may find is the problem, but browse back a bit after
> you get the stoppage and see what the "error" was.

fyi, i got the above fresh, output after following Peter's advise. that
is, i first did a make clean on libart, then re-did ./configure make
make install.
then did a make clean on scribus. and then did the same ./configure make
for scribus. (did not proceed to make install, due to the above errors).

incidentally, though i have installed libart_lgpl-2.3.16, as mentioned
above, the rpm -qa shows the older version, probably because of the
compile & make install procedure, rather than having installed an rpm
package. as a newbie, am curious if that could lead to a problem?
the above error-dump also mentions Qt, but i have no idea if it is Qt
that needs updating. i leave it to you gurus to guide me.

>  Scribus has been
> very friendly compiling for most everyone, so it should work as well for
> you, once you find what you need on your system.  That's one of the many
> things I think we have to commend all the developers for, making Scribus
> very system friendly.  Of course, there are other things too, but we
> won't go into that right now!  ;o)

thanks patrick, for your words of appreciation and support. i have been
excited about scribus since its birth circa 2002, and been following it
keenly, downloading it regularly to test it out. just that since RH8 i
haven't been able to get it installed, and only glance at it in some
live CDs that i don't use for production.

of course, i would love to contribute to scribus in some special ways,
but like you, i won't get to that right now, either! :-)

looking forward to your response in helping me solve this problem. and
thanks for your support.

:-)
LL