[Fwd: Re: [Scribus] 1. Page orientation -- printing 2. colors]

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Tue Mar 2 00:30:42 CET 2004

Sorry, didn't send this to the list, but also see addendum.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [Scribus] 1. Page orientation -- printing 2. colors
Date: 	Mon, 01 Mar 2004 18:22:18 -0500
From: 	Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com>
To: 	scribusdocs at atlantictechsolutions.com
<1078153982.1565.33.camel at localhost.localdomain>

Peter Linnell wrote:

>On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 09:33, Gregory Pittman wrote:
>

>>1.  I just set up a new document with a landscape orientation because
>>all I wanted was a sideways page to work with, then made a text frame.
>>
>>When I printed it, the default printing was portrait, so the placement
>>was not correct.  It turns out that you need to go into Options in the
>>Print requester and switch to Landscape there, too.
>>
>>Seems unnecessary or counterintuitive to have to do this when using a
>>standard size paper (A4 or letter).
>>

>Unless you have landscape as the default setting in kprinter or which
>ever print configuration app you use, this is "necessary" and expected.
>This is the same on a $200 inkjet or a Fiery RIP.
>
>Perhaps why it might seem unintuitive is that it is under options and
>not a dialog which jumps out at you. I can't think of any DTP which does
>anything differently. Adding more options in the default UI is not a
>good idea IMO, just makes the printer dialog turn into the dialog from
>hell. See Indesign 2.+..

But think about it this way... What is the point of having a "landscape"
mode?  The intent is to work as if you are working with a sheet of paper
and turning it sideways; it's not just having a sheet of paper that's
wider than it is tall.  But when I choose landscape as I create a new
document, in Scribus I am just changing the dimensions of the page,
since when I print, it thinks that landscape is portrait, portrait is
landscape.(?!)

What is true of most inkjets or whatever printer is that the paper only
goes in one way, so there landscape and portrait have a consistent meaning.

Gregory Pittman

Addendum:

What might be more useful than this pseudo-landscape feature would be to
be able to rotate the page as you are working on it (e.g. in 90 degree
increments).

GP