[Scribus] 1. Page orientation -- printing 2. colors

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Mon Mar 1 16:13:02 CET 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 09:33, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> 1.  I just set up a new document with a landscape orientation because
> all I wanted was a sideways page to work with, then made a text frame.
>
> When I printed it, the default printing was portrait, so the placement
> was not correct.  It turns out that you need to go into Options in the
> Print requester and switch to Landscape there, too.
>
> Seems unnecessary or counterintuitive to have to do this when using a
> standard size paper (A4 or letter).

Unless you have landscape as the default setting in kprinter or which
ever print configuration app you use, this is "necessary" and expected.
This is the same on a $200 inkjet or a Fiery RIP.

Perhaps why it might seem unintuitive is that it is under options and
not a dialog which jumps out at you. I can't think of any DTP which does
anything differently. Adding more options in the default UI is not a
good idea IMO, just makes the printer dialog turn into the dialog from
hell. See Indesign 2.+..

> 2. Colors: it's a bit dizzying, but nice to have all the color choices.
> The 'Remove Unused' feature is a good addition.  What would be a further
> nice addition would be a way to either restore the removed colors, or at
> least have an easy built-in way to choose from the default list when you
> want to later Add/Append colors.
> I imagine many of those on the list who are into professional printing
> have their own custom lists, but most people like me are happy to work
> with a robust built-in list.
> I am also wondering if there is a way to have the colors
> arranged by
> some sort of palette/hue/saturation or even a custom list rather than
> alphabetical by name.

There are more features planned with color sets.. One is to have
compatible color sets with other applications. Stay tuned :)

Peter