Fw: Re: [Scribus] Scribus Friendly Print Shops

Plinnell scribusdocs
Fri Jul 23 15:32:00 CEST 2004

<snip>

> > What do you think of it? Is it something I should submit as a feature
> > request? If you like the idea, you could even mention one or two
> > Scribus friendly print shops within this thread.
>
> I like the idea, but I'm wondering what good it does to have a
> print-shop support native files; then you'd need to bundle the fonts and
> images with the doc, right?

Scribus has a collect for output feature which does that to a directory of
your choice, including the fonts in the document. It works very reliably IME.

> Gold Level should be "accepts scribus-generated PDF's" I think...

Actually, in my opinion the real criteria is one or both:

1) Can they handle PDF/X-3 with their workflow - only more uptodate RIPS do
that. Scribus was the very first DTP app on the planet to natively export
PDF/X-3. It beat the commercial apps by just short of year.

2) Can they handle PDF 1.4 or even PDF 1.5 files and work with them natively
(PDF), not some conversion process to another format.

My reasoning is there are printers with updated RIPS, but unwillingness to use
updated workflows....

Cheers,
Peter