[Scribus] printing pdf1.4 with transparency under linux / ghostscript

Sebastian Röder sebroeder
Wed Jul 21 17:49:24 CEST 2004

Hi list,

I`ve finished my "masterpiece" - an event magazin from the "JugendMedienCamp
2004" with Scribus. Since I have a laser printer here for some weeks, I
wanted to do a test print of the document until it is printed 300 times in a
printers office. Therefore I printed it with kprinter from acroread. It`s
fine, but I have a kind of logo with transparency over a background photo.
Unfortuntaly the transparent background of the logo is not 100% invisible at
the print (but it is on the screen - and in Scribus set to BG-colour "none").
Then  checked it with WinXP / AcrobatReader 6 and the original driver for my
Brother HL 5140 and there everything is fine. Is this because of missing
features in the linux printer driver (I use the CUPS printing system) or can
this be solved somehow for Linux? The gradients from light gray th
transparent do not look fluent too - you can see "steps" from one gray to
another.

I would test it with WinXP, but I wasn`t able to set the print format up
correctly: I have a little smaller format then A5 in landscape and want to
print it with two pages per A4 page. The Windows printing dialogue from
Acrobat / Brother always scales the pages down and I don`t know why. I have
disabled all scaling features and enabled the 2 per 1 option. With Linux this
works fine - landscape is set. Maybe somebody has some tipps for this
Windows-Prob ;-)

Thanks again and again for the cool app!

Sebastian