[Scribus] Setting linescreen when printing pdf file

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Wed Jul 21 16:58:57 CEST 2004

Louis Desjardins wrote:

> ? (At) 12h49 +0800 19/07/04, Craig Ringer ?crivait (wrote) :
>
>> On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 05:57, Wayne Maeda wrote:
>>
>>  > Is it possible to print out a pdf document (with text and
>> graphics) in Windows
>>
>>>  so that the graphics print out at 75 lpi while the text remains
>>> crisp and
>>
>>  > dark black? I was under the assumption that it could be done. Most
>> of the
>>
>>>  newspapers that I deal with request their ads to be in pdf format.
>>> They must
>>
>>  > be printing them out at a certain linescreen somehow someway.
>>
>> At my workplace (a newspaper) we prefer PDFs from clients. Our printer's
>> RIP is what makes the decisions on linescreen, etc, and it clearly
>> treats text and graphics differently. It's obvious when we've had to use
>> a TIFF instead, or when a client has supplied a PDF of an image of the
>> ad, because the text comes out with awful grainy edges due to the
>> linescreen.
>

> Hi Craig,
> Hi Wayne,
> Hi everybody,
>
> This is an interesting discussion. I apologize in advance for all the
> shortcuts in the following answer; we could write a book on that
> subject...

This is all quite interesting, including the subsequent comments.
What I was wondering is where these issues of printing format, number of
colors, etc., make a big difference for printing costs -- or is this
different with different printing shops?

Greg