[Scribus] Compiling problems on Solaris SPARC

Jeremy C. Reed reed
Wed Jul 7 23:38:17 CEST 2004

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Rainer Heilke wrote:

> I've been having a real bear of a time compiling Scribus on Solaris. My
> first problem was getting Qt (it wouldn't compile, giving me a pthread
> error that was reminiscent of another compiling problem I had related to
> using GCC rather than Sun's compiler), so I downloaded and installed the
> KDE packages from kde.org. However, this still doesn't work. I have
> added the Qt libraries to the system default using crle, all of the
> Qt-related environment variables are set, and I've explicitly told
> ./configure where to look, but it keeps bombing out with the "Qt must be
>  >= 3.0.2" error.
>
> Is the Qt from KDE not the developer version, perhaps? Is there some
> trick I've missed? I'm running Solaris 10 for SPARC (Software Express),
> but I was having the same issues under 9. I've hunted around, but I
> can't find anything further that I haven't already tried.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :-)

Hello Rainer,

One idea is SolarPack.
http://solarpack.sourceforge.net/ says "A repository of 1400+ pre-compiled
packages of free software for Solaris systems".

Their list of packages includes qt3-libs and qt3-tools and libart2 (also
needed).

I see they don't list Solaris 10. You can ask them.

Also they don't list scribus. But you can ask them.

SolarPack (which I am not affiliated with) uses "pkgsrc" (which I am a
developer) for building and installing packages.

You could choose to use pkgsrc itself. See http://www.pkgsrc.org/
If you use pkgsrc, I'll be glad to help you get it to work to build and
install scribus under Solaris for you.

(I need to update the pkgsrc version of scribus to 1.1.7.)

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/