[Scribus] text is in color, picture isn't

Plinnell scribusdocs
Fri Jul 2 04:25:38 CEST 2004

On Thursday 01 July 2004 21:35, Pierre Abbat wrote:
> I am designing labels for a skin cream and related products. I drew the
> logo in color using Sodipodi, exported it to PS and converted it to EPS. I
> wrote the text in Scribus and included the picture. I printed it. The
> picture came out in grayscale, but I can change the color of the text and
> it prints in color. If I print to a file and view it onscreen with
> kghostview, both the image and the text are in color. The printer is a BJC
> 6000 on a computer running CUPS. The only clue as to why it's wrong is that
> the text is in CMYK and the picture is in RGB. How do I fix it?
>
> phma
Hi,

For starters, you are using a conversion process which is less than ideal:

1) Scribus has a very good and improving SVG importer. My testing, even with
rather complex drawings from Inkscape, shows excellent results. Caveats: the
SVG and the PS text model work quite differently, so text import is the most
difficult to match. But things like gradients and blends are getting very
very close.

2) I recommend Inkscape over Sodipodi, for several reason, but notably
Inkscape is trying very hard to match the written SVG specs. Scribus depends
on "well-formed" SVG for import. Both Illustrator and Sodipodi add some
non-spec extentions.

3) The EPS/PS export from both applications ( they share common code, Inkscape
was forked from Sodipodi)  is not exceptionally strong and the Inkscape
devels will acknowledge that, even with the recent improvements in CVS
Inkscape. I have found it difficult for example to get Acro Distiller to
distill EPS or PS files from either, indicative of weak EPS, PS output.

4) For EPS/PS viewing, GSview is in my strong opinion the best available on
Linux, but with the caveat that the display will always convert CMYK to RGB
screen colors. I do not even bother to install any others.

So, in your case, I would export "plain" SVG from Sodipodi or optionally
export a high res PNG. Then import into Scribus. This will keep your colors
in RGB and when printed, will probably match the screen fairly closely. A BJC
6000 is more than likely an "RGB" printer in that it expects RGB data and
either the driver or printer firmware does the conversion to CMY or CMYK
internally. Few inkjets are true CMYK printers.

Another way for close matching is to export a PDF and print using kprinter or
XPP with the gimp-print drivers which can do subtle tweaking to make the
colors match very closely.

Hope that helps,

Peter