[Scribus] Translation: Moving from PO to TS file

Craig Bradney cbradney
Fri Jan 30 01:08:13 CET 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-25 at 12:01, Maciej Hanski wrote:
> Hi everybody (translating folks in particular),
> I recently upgraded my Polish Scribus translation and migrated it from
> the PO to TS file format, as described in this Mini Howto
> http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/scribus/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=23
> (many thanks to Alexandre Prokoudine for this fine piece of work).
> Both moving from PO to TS and updating the resulting TS file to the
> current Scribus state went just fine. There is not much to say about
> working with Qt Linquist and TS files: it's easy, you can create your
> binary QM files from within QT Linquist and test your translation
> immediately. I like in particular the idea of being independent of
> irregularely updated POT files and sticking close to the current Scribus
> developement.
>
> There is still one minor issue with the new TS files, though: a few
> already translated messages from the PO file don't appear in the new TS
> file, neither in English original nor in translation, not even after
> updating it to the current CVS state. I checked it with both Polish and
> Russian translation, the only two that exist in the TS file format at
> the moment. These messages are in particular:
>
> 	Initialiazing... (appears on launching Scribus)
> 	Look in: File name: File type: (in File --> Save as... / Open... windows )
> 	New Script: (in Edit --> Javascripts.. --> Add window)
> 	Save Page as SVG... (File --> Export...)
> 	Import SVG-Image (File --> Import...)
> 	All Messages in File --> Document Info... window  ("Author:" "Title:" "Description:" "Cancel")
> 	Insert Special  (Extras --> Insert Special)
> 	New Color: (Edit --> Colors... --> New window)
> 	Shade: (Style --> Shade --> Other... window)
>
> 	Help --> Scripter Manual... (this message is translated, but all Polish
> and Russian diacritics are replaced by question marks - wrong encoding
> taken over from  the scripter plugin?)
>
> To my Polish colleages on the list: Czy znacie moze polskie odpowiedniki
> slow "Blackpoint compensation" oraz "relativ / absolute colorimetric"?
> Moje poszukiwania nie przyniosly niestety rezultatu.

We (those of us in IRC tonight) found why we arent getting translations
for the strings in docinfo etc when you run the process like
qmake -project
(edit resulting scribus.pro for the ts file u want)
lupdate scribus.pro (this is where u get errors about missing QOBJECT
macros.

Should be able to have CVS updated tomorrow with patches for these.

Craig