[Scribus] x64 compilation

PFJ paul
Wed Jan 14 12:34:53 CET 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 10:11, Craig Ringer wrote:
> PFJ wrote:
> >>And how was it?
> >
> > Fast with a capital WHOOSH!
>
> I assume that it also has at least 4 CPUs and enough RAM to hold the
> entire OS, app, and working data set without really noticing?

It's a machine we have for a very specific number of tasks (number
crunching, data aquisition of muons in various fields and accelerants
and the such - you know, stuff that *really* needs processing power,
drive space and memory)

> More and more frequently, I'm finding memory and disk performance more
> important than CPU power. 2D graphics performance also makes a shocking
> difference IMHO (I recently tried using Scribus on my CyberBlade XP
> based laptop - and oh am I sorry).

I bet you are.

My laptop has Fedora Core on, kernel 2.6.1-bk1 and 256Mb of memory -
it's a SiS everything on a chip el-cheapo model and compiling on it is a
swine - Scribus can take over an hour on this 1.2GHz box.

Luckily, I use that nice gcc thing to share the power.

TTFN

Paul
--
Free your mind to a time where a company does not have control
Free your mind to a choice of applications which you can control