[Scribus] Announcing Inkscape 0.37 Release

Subash nsjeyan
Thu Feb 26 03:20:32 CET 2004

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:52:39 -0500,
Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> wrote:

> Right now it's RH9 (but with a 2.4.23 kernel outside of RH), KDE
> 3.1.2, Qt 3.3
> Like many, I'm trying to figure out where I'm going later this year
> after RH stops updating RH9. The thing I don't like about SuSE is that
>
> it only keeps me stuck in many of the same problems I have with RH --
> the RPMs are behind, sometimes *way* behind the development curve,
> although arguably SuSE may be a bit more aggressive that RH has become
>
> for all us non-Enterprise users. Then there's all these
> incompatibilities -- I especially hate it when an RPM complains of
> incompatibility when I don't have an *older* version of some library.
>
> But the biggest thing is with cutting edge development like Scribus,
> where you absolutely want to compile and trying to update libraries by
>
> compiling causes no end of trouble because the gods of RPMs have their
>
> own scheme of where various files go -- it makes me look forward to
> the day when Linux will be RPM-free: in some ways, RPMs have that
> Microsoft-brainless mentality to them.
>
> But back to Inkscape -- my experience with Sodipodi [also in the < 1.0
>
> version zone (both < 0.5 actually)] suggests that I have better things

hi,

i am not even trying to get into 'distro wars' here but after having
used mandrake (rpm-based) for more than two years i find slackware
absolutely ideal especially if you want to do your own things like
compile most programs from source. personally i find it gives you
the most freedom to make your system exactly what you want it to be.

i compile sodipodi and inkscape from cvs and have absolutely no
problems. i guess that's partly because i have the latest gtkmm and
libsigc++ already installed because of passepartout. certainly inkscape
looks very promising and much more 'user friendly'.

regards, subash.