[Scribus] print preview extremly slow ?

Craig Bradney cbradney
Mon Feb 23 23:50:00 CET 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 23:42, Sebastian R?der wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As there is now possibility to run KDE3.2 with qt3 < 3.3.0 and (as I already
> mentioned ) the SuSE qt3.3.0 rpms are called to be beta without
> opengl-support, I set up a fresh SuSE 9.0 installation with qt3.2.3 and
> KDE3.1.4. Then I installed a fresh compiled Scribus rpm (checkinstall) from
> 22.02.04 CVS. After having Scribus adjusted at the preferences dialog, I
> opened up my old document. which I have to finish till thursday, and it is as
> slow as posted in my KDE3.2 treat. But I think the speed is OK for work - the
> real problem is the print preview. It opens up REAL slowly, even with a small
> and easy dokument (CD-Cover with one picture and one textbox) and when I
> check or uncheck one of the boxes with the CMYK options and so on, I have to
> wait > 10 sec. till the is a result on the screen (for the CD-Cover, with the
> bigger document, I did not the any result after one minute, thought).
>
> Is this a normal behaviour? Don`t get me wrong - if this option is still under
> heavy development, I don`t want to complain. I just want to know whether I
> did something wrong. I am looking forward into a bright future with scribus,
> if the print preview does it job a little faster.

The time you wait is for ghostscript to create the print preview, and
some colour conversion. If we can speed it up we will. There might be a
better way of processing the user choices, we can change it. I guess the
only way to make it better at this point would be to have a "Go" button
where you choose your preview options and then press "Go" and it creates
the preview....

Do you have any further ideas?

Craig