[Scribus] 1.1.5 changes 1.1.4 doc

Wayne Maeda iw
Thu Feb 19 09:03:27 CET 2004

On Thursday 19 February 2004 02:41 pm, Bob White wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 05:49:08 -0800
>
> Susan Hogarth <susan at ncliberty.net> wrote:
> > After finishing a newsletter I did in 1.1.4, I installed 1.1.5. Let me
> > say first that I *love* the things I'm seeing in 1.1.5! It looks very
> > nice, and I'm happily playing with it already. I want to send you
> > money (and when I get some, I will...). I'm pretty new to DTP, so I
> > wondered why everyone was whining that you couldn't make X columns in
> > a textbox - but I can see that's a HUGE feature to have! THANKS!
> >
> > However, the doc I made in 1.1.4, when I opened it in 1.1.5, has some
> > differences. What I noticed is that text which 'fit' in a  particular
> > text box was now not 'fitting' - the text boxes were asking for more
> > space :-/  No big deal, since I had PDF-d the files and sent them to
> > the printer already, but did anyone else notice this? Is it maybe some
> > difference int he hyphenator(although even the headlines have this),
> > or maybe just the text boxes want more'whitespace'?
>
> Hi,
>
> I had a real simple one page document that had 6 or 7 lines of very
> large text.  Some of them were overlapping for a shadown effect.  In
> 1.1.5 a few of the boxes weren't big enough for the text any more.  I
> found that they all had a blank line at the beginning.  Deleting the
> line fixed the problem.  Unfortunately without thinking, I saved over
> the original so I can't check whether the line was originally there but
> with a smaller font or something.
>
> Bob White

I experienced a few changes between 1.1.4 and 1.1.5 too. Basically, it had to
do with text frames that were close to the page borders. These frames tend to
shift a little in 1.1.5 requiring you to re-position them by hand. This is
not a problem unless of course your design is filled with this kind of text
frames.

A larger problem I encountered is the inability to move small text frames with
the mouse. The problem is that the cursor changes to the double arrow even
when it's within the confines of the text frame. This makes it impossible to
get the 4-way arrow cursor required to move the frame. Perhaps it should be
changed so that the cursor changes to a double arrow only when it's directly
over one of the 8 red boxes which surround a selected text frame.

Try this: create a text frame, select it, hover over one of the 8 red boxes
until the cursor changes to a double arrow. Move the mouse in toward the
center of the text frame. Notice how far it can go before the double arrow
changes to a 4-way arrow.

If your text frame is so small that the cursor will not be allowed to change
to a 4-way arrow, you can never move the frame with the mouse. I sometimes
construct maps with little items that all have to be numbered. Moving these
numbers can be a nightmare. Doing it with the Properties dialog box can be a
bigger nightmare.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Thanks,
Wayne